Tales from the Sky

The Sky is Falling, and other tales of the macabre.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I have made some big changes recently in my life, name, moving (once again!) from Bloomington back up to the Chicago area to start my internship with school social work. I have been back for about two weeks now, and it still feels weird. Like, I grew up here and so I know everything so well, but I really haven't lived here for about a year and a half, and so it doesn't feel like home anymore, but this strange alternate universe. I feel like I don't really know where home is anymore, and I want to find it (I feel a bit right now like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, "There's no place like home). It's taken me so long to post because I have been without internet, so I am now at the library while my car is getting an oil change, hence allowing me to write here. I have been feeling very stressed and hectic these past couple of days. I had a new staff orientation at my school on Wednesday, and then this Monday and Tuesday we have had all the teachers and staff together for different meetings, such as learning how to use this new form of technology, discussing the school rules and dress codes, yada yada yada. So boring. And stressful, too, because I will be at three different schools this year, so there are so many people to meet and so many names to learn and so much small talk to make. The good news is they gave me a laptop to use, so I have it right now in my apartment. I am very happy about that.

I was able to transfer to a Barnes and Noble up here as well, so I have already begun working there. It is very different from the Bloomington store, there's a lot less employees, we get less customers, and the managers are incredibly laid-back, which that part is nice. But I miss the people I worked with in Bloomington, they were so nice, and there were some guys there I liked to flirt with, whereas at this new job, the only men I have met so far could be either my father or grandfather. Yeah, not doing so well in the whole meeting guys area right now.

I am also struggling with deciding what church to go to and what singles/emerging generation group to join. My childhood church has one, but I wasn't super impressed the one time I went, plus I will be working a lot of Sunday afternoons/evenings, which is when they meet. I've thought about joining a small group with them during the weekdays, so we'll see. I kind of wanted to check out other churches in the area, but I don't really have anyone to go and do that with me, so I'm not sure if I want to do that or not. I'll keep you informed on what I decide.

Well, I guess that's everything right now in a nutshell, I have to go after this and get my finger prints taken to ensure I am not a criminal for my internship. I am very worried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home