Tales from the Sky

The Sky is Falling, and other tales of the macabre.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Of Cornwall

I figured I better update you about my trip to Cornwall before I embark on my trip to Prague this weekend. It will save me from having to write too much next week.

Cornwall was amazing. I wish I was able to download some pictures to put here so you could see just how beautiful it was. Going to Cornwall made me realize this is why I came here, this is what I came to do, and it made everything else, every little frustration and difficulty, seem worth it for just a little while. We rented a car and drove down on Friday night to Newquay and basically crashed. Then Saturday, it was pretty nice, so we went to the beach and got in the ocean. The water was so cold my bones ached, and my whole body went numb. Sounds lovely, right? Then we went back to the hotel and swam in the indoor swimming pool (much warmer than the ocean) and went in the sauna. We kind of hung around Newquay that night.

The next day we got back in our car (a silver Peugeot, yeah French-made cars) and drove around Cornwall exploring. We saw Penzance (Pirates of Penzance anyone?), Land's End (the western-most part of Britain) and St. Ives (another coastal town--very picturesque). It was a good trip in all, but quite exhausting to return to work Monday.

Tonight I attended a home group as part of my church (it's like a bible study). It was a relief. Everyone was pretty much in their twenties, and it was a mix of singles and married, and everyone seemed very nice and interested in what I was doing there. It had a bit of a rocky start, after I FINALLY caught the bus out to Harbourne to where I thought it was, I discovered they were actually meeting at a different house that evening. I totally embarrassed myself by crying in front of the man who let me into his house, and I went into their loo while he called over to his wife to see if someone could come and pick me up. He was very nice about it all. Someone did come and get me, and then I had a great time and felt a little less alone, and someone drove me home as well (although where we were meeting at turned out to be about a five minute walk from my current residence). We'll see if some sort of friendship will develop with anyone. I'm sure it will take time. But at least I know where we'll be meeting next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home