Tales from the Sky

The Sky is Falling, and other tales of the macabre.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Differences

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a few days. I always feel like I have so much to say while wandering around the city, but now that I have a computer in front of me, I can't think of what to write. Things are definitely very different here in Great Britain, and I'm having more of an adjustment issue than I was anticipating. First off, I am having extreme problems finding a good church where I can meet people my own age. I went to this church on Sunday that I found on the internet, and it was one of the only churches that actually had an internet website, so that's why I chose it. I went there and there were only 8 people for the service. The preacher was a woman (which I didn't really have a problem with, I don't necessarily believe that women shouldn't be preachers), but she didn't give a sermon based on biblical scripture. She more talked about why it wasn't good to be certain things, and gave examples about this person so and so who was having a hard time and then came to God and God took care of them. It was rather dry really. Now I've been in contact with this missionary couple who I got their name from somebody at my old church, and they recommended several good churches from London, but did not know any in Birmingham. However, the man did say he would try to contact people to see if he could hear of any good recommendations. I am really praying that God will help me find a good church there. I don't care if it's small so long as I can feel as if I belong.

Other differences between England and U.S.:

1. The bathrooms are extremely hard to find, and once you do find them after looking for a half hour, you invariably have to pay to use them.
2. People don't make eye contact. Ever.
3. No one says hello to one another on the streets.
4. They don't believe in using paper towels to wipe hands after washing, apparently, since there are only dryers in bathrooms.
5. Pedestrians do NOT have the right away when crossing streets unless you specifically have the little walking man signaling you to go. (I almost was run over several times while shopping yesterday. I learned this the hard way.)

I could go on, but I am about to run out of time on this computer, so I have to run!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home